[tirrigh-heralds] Ordinary confusion

Judy Harcus jdharcus at telus.net
Wed Jun 2 07:08:39 PDT 2010

I've run into the unknown records before but usually it works the next
time I check.  Try again and see if you still have the problem.  It's
not showing up for me.

Compass stars, compass roses, mullets and suns all have the potential of
conflicting with each other.
A compass star doesn't conflict with a mullet of the default 5 points
but will with all others.
Compass stars also conflict with suns, so you need to check there as well.
If the compass star is on a field, you need to check against compass
roses on the same field (you get one CD between a compass star and a
compass rose but need a second; fieldless or change of field will give
you the second one).

Relevant precedents:

[comparing a mullet of six points vs. a compass star] There is ... [no
CD] for type of the primary charge:

    There is no type difference between the compass stars and the
    mullets of six points. Because of the unusual (and non-period)
    design of compass stars, with their four greater and four lesser
    points, they are considered as variants of both mullets of four
    points and mullets of eight points. There is no type difference
    between mullets of six points and mullets of eight points and,
    hence, no difference between mullets of six points and compass
    stars. [Brian Sigfridsson von Niedersachsen, 07/03, R-Atenveldt]

[Mara Sutherland, LoAR 10/2004, Meridies-R]

<>[mullets vs. compass stars] ... a second CD between the default
mullets of five points and compass stars. RfS X.4.e states that "A
charge not used in period armory will be considered different in type if
its shape in normal depiction is significantly different." Compass stars
are not used in period armory and thus must be compared with mullets of
five points on visual grounds. They have sufficient visual difference to
be given a CD. [Asad de Barcelona, 10/03
<http://sca.org/heraldry/loar/2003/10/03-10lar.html>, A-Æthelmearc]

[there's ...no difference between suns and multi-pointed mullets ---
which includes compass stars" [Friedrich von Rabenstein, 6/93, R-Caid]

Precedent holds that a compass star within an annulet has no difference
from a compass rose: "There is no difference given between a compass
rose and a compass star within an annulet" (LoAR June 2000).

You may also want to note:
... there is no difference between a compass star and a riven star per
the LoAR of April 2001. [Iamys of Loch Cairn, 01/02
<http://sca.org/heraldry/loar/2002/01/02-01lar.html>, R-Meridies]

Alicia