[tirrigh-heralds] I'll give this a try as well

Judy Harcus jdharcus at telus.net
Thu May 13 13:42:04 PDT 2010

Tomas wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> I'm not certain that I'll submit this badge, but I felt that it was a
> good idea to try running it through the OandA.
>
> Fieldless, on a pale vert three plates
> or
> Fieldless, on a pale vert three roundels argent
>
> If I understand these two are the same.

Yes, these are identical as a plate is a fancy way of saying roundel argent.

First let's check for style issues.  Check the Rules for Submission
VIII.5 Fieldless Style.  "Fieldless armory must form a self-contained
design.  A fieldless design must have all its elements conjoined, like
the three feathers issuinf form a crown used by the Heir Apparent to the
throne of England.  Since there is no field in such a design, it may not
use charges that rely on the edges of the field to define their shape,
such as bordures and orles, nor to cut off their ends, such as
ordinaries or charges throughout."

So what does a pale couped look like?  A saltire couped is fairly
obvious - it's an X.  To me, a pale couped would be the same as a billet
(which is basically a tall rectangle).

Taking a look at the precedents, I couldn't find anything specific about
allowing/disallowing a pale couped, however I did find this in the
precedents of Elizabeth de Rossignol, under Fieldless:
"[(Fieldless) On a billet fesswise vert, seven annulets interlaced in
fess Or.] This is returned for style problems. First, a billet is a
shape used for heraldic display. This appears to be a display of Vert,
seven annulets interlaced in fess Or. As precedent notes:

    We do not register fieldless badges which appear to be independent
    forms of armorial display. Charges such as lozenges, billets, and
    roundels are all both standard heraldic charges and "shield shapes"
    for armorial display. ...

Therefore, a "shield shape" which is also a standard heraldic charge
will be acceptable as a fieldless badge in a plain tincture, as long as
the tincture is not one of the plain tinctures that is protected armory
in the SCA. This explicitly overturns the precedent "We do not normally
register fieldless badges consisting only of forms of armorial display,
such as roundels, lozenges and delfs in plain tinctures, since in use
the shape does not appear to be a charge, but rather the field itself"
(LoAR January 1998).Note that this does not change our long-standing
policy about such "shield shape" charges used in fieldless badges if the
tincture is not plain (thus, divided or with a field treatment), or if
the charge is itself charged. Such armory will continue to be returned
for the appearance of an independent form of armorial display.[Solveig
Throndardottir, 04/02, A-Æthelmearc] [Brion Gennadyevich Gorodin, 07/05
<http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2005/07/05-07lar.html>, R-Trimaris]"

So I suspect that your proposed badge would be considered the same as
"Vert, three plates".

Maybe Teceangl or someone can find additional information on this.

Alicia