[tirrigh-heralds] Name and device help, please?

Morel Carr Zupanic bear_necessities at telus.net
Tue Dec 11 19:31:35 PST 2012

Wow, thank you so much!  I will try to get more info on her name tomorrow. As pathetic as it may be, I am about ready to hit the sack.

Dori

************************************
The device "Or, a ship in full sail between three cinquefoil vert all within a double tressure sable" appears to be clear.
As far as I can tell, it's clear without the tressure as well (there are very few vert ships).

As for the name -

Appendix A of SENA says double given names are found in Italian names, so that's no problem.

Documenting Alessandra is fairly easy.  It can be found in the following documents:
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/names/italian.html  Italian Renaissance Women's Names by Rhian Lyth of Blackmoor Vale (Jo Lori Drake)
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/16thcvenice.html  Names from Sixteenth Century Venice by Juliana de Luna (Julia Smith)
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/condado/womensalpha.html  A Listing of all Women’s Given Names from the Condado Section of the Florence Catasto of 1427 by Juliana de Luna (Julia Smith)

I have not found Lucianna anywhere.  The closest is Lucia (found in all three documents above) and Luchina (found in the last document above).

I have not found Giancomo but have found Giacomo (without the 'n') as a common male given name (also Giano, Giacomino, and several variation).  It appears patronymic bynames were used but I'm not clear on the syntax (Giacomino as a given names seems to turn into Giacomini as a byname, so Giacomo might be Giacomi as a patronymic byname) and whether it should be preceded by 'di'.   Appendix A of SENA says Italian patronymics are "Marked (as di B), multi-generational, unmarked, Latinized",  "Italian is incredibly variable in period, with names from Venice, Tuscany, and the south all significantly different", "Latinized patronymic bynames usually are just the father's name in the genitive form, without filius/filia" and "Family names typically modify a patronym or byname by removing the last vowel (if there is one) and adding –i. Unmodified forms are found as well".

I found these in:
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/juliana/condado/mensalpha.html  A Listing of all Men's Given Names from the Condado Section of the Florence Catasto of 1427 by Juliana de Luna (Julia Smith)
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/italian/venicegivalpha.html  Fifteenth Century Venetian Masculine Names: Given Names Alphabetically by Sara L. Uckelman known in the SCA as Aryanhwy merch Catmael
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/maridonna/milaneseNotaries/  Milanese Notaries 1396-1635 by Maridonna Benvenuti
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/tratte/doc/name1.html  LIST OF GIVEN NAMES (NAME1) FOUND IN THE TRE MAGGIORI
http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/tratte/doc/SURNAM1.html  LIST OF SURNAMES (SURNAM1) IN THE TRE MAGGIORI

http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/tratte/doc/n-names.html  A Note on Names. - Surnames. (SURNAM1, SURNAM2) says:
"Surnames were often derived from patronymics (Alberti from Albero, Capponi from Cappone, Ridolfi from Ridolfo), although this was not automatic. The Capponi for instance, whose first prior was in 1287, adopted a stable surname only toward the middle of the fourteenth century. "

There is one of the De Felice Italian name books in the Tir Righ Heraldic Library (I can't remember if it is first names or surnames - Dizionario dei [nomi or cognomi] italiani).  Perhaps ask Aline to check and see if any of the names is in it, and what it says (it's in Italian so someone may need to translate).

That's the best I can do without more information on where she found the name elements.
Alicia Red Flame